Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Oddities of Me

There are some things that just plain creep me out. The phrase “I don’t know why, but that is creepy to me” has come out of my mouth more times in the last few weeks. I know I am not alone in this – and if you think real hard, I bet you can make your own list - and not the too easy ones either i.e. clowns, mimes - cause everyone is freaked out by people who hide under make –up.

Pinocchio and Alice in Wonderland: for some unknown reason as a kid and as an adult these two stories disturb me. A man being attached to a wooden puppet – and when he dances – ewwww! Alice in Wonderland – that one I am unsure of what bothers me here – maybe it was the whole “you’re cool if you can reference AIWL in conversations” – and then everyone does that nasal laugh and head nod thing.

Fruit Bouquets: Sure, they look novel – flower arrangements that look like flowers. But come on people – send a fruit basket, send flowers, or even send both.


Wood utensils, wood bowls, wood serving platters, wood cutting boards: This goes way back to my earliest memories. Growing up, we had the standard set of wood salad bowl - but too many kids in the family to all get one. I always grabbed the little glass ones. Don’t even get me started on those malt cups you get at ball parks with the wooden spatula/spoon thingy– makes me gag even thinking about it. Hmm, maybe that is also why Pinocchio bugs me so much.

Ground meats: My family used to kid me and say I was a vegetarian, except for steak. I eat meat, but only certain kinds – preferable without any bones, not mixed, not ground, and not stuffed. Give me a well done beef roast or a boneless pork chop and I am a happy girl. Even better with lots of garlic and any potato!

The word “Juicy “or “Moist”: Why or why do weather forecasters like to say those words? No need to tell me it is “juicy outside today”. Or worse yet, “it’s going to be a moist one today”. Come on people; think about what you are saying. And please, never ever describe a stuffed, bone in, chicken breast as moist or juicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment