Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Accident waiting to happen...

Most people can say things like "I was in a car accident once" or "I had a cast once". To be perfectly honest, I don't think I could even name all my accidents - car, bone, stitches or otherwise.

Lets start when I was two. I was running around, bugging my older brother. My mom told me to leave him alone (according to family folklore) and I didn't- again I was TWO. He was laying on the floor, tripped me, and I went flying into the brick fireplace. Stitches. This was the first of many...

High school - I was on crutches two different times (once for 3 weeks), a broken wrist, a concussion...that's off the top of my head. The concussion - it was a downhill ski accident - plowed into by an out-of-control skier. Was in the hospital and the doctor was asking questions to assess my injury. Name,address...fine could answer. Age, that question threw me. I guess it changes each year. Then he asked "who was president during WWI?" Roosevelt? My mom then told the doctor that it was not the concussion that caused the wrong answer, but that "she is really bad at history". True, but jeez Mom...

The worst accident happened in college. I was on spring break in Mexico. Last night there, on the way back to the hotel. I was in a taxi with the guy I had met and hung out with all week. Suddenly I saw a car hurling through the air right at us. Next memory is waking up and thinking I had no legs. Severely cut my left leg (now referred to as my Bleg - Bad Leg), broke my nose, and broke my wrist. I spent a week in a Mexico hospital, had numerous surgeries. I came home on my 21st birthday on all sorts of Mexican drugs and in a wheelchair - which thankfully I only needed for about 1 week. Two of my friends stayed with (actually one friend, one cousin). It was quite the comedy of errors on the way home. Namely when they searched me, in casts made from paper and 2x4's. Yep, we looked like drug smugglers.

More recently, I had a really bad summer. It was a low point in my life- living with my daughter at my brother's. Transition time, I guess. Anyhow, I just got a new job (yeah!). First off, on my second day, I went to lunch with my department. Fell and broke my wrist. Then, about two weeks later,I got a fever. Then became, um lets call it altered. At one point, I was seeing evil fairies fly out of the wall paper. Tried my best to power through. Doctor thought I had hepatitis - definitely liver functions were being affected. Uck! Then that came back negative. I started feeling a little better, but not much. One night, I was having horrible pains. Finally asked my brother to bring me to the ER. Had emergency surgery on my infected gallbladder and was diagnosed with a tick borne disease.

My daughter has unfortunately inherited this trait of accident proneness. I don't know if it clumseyness or just bad luck. Whatever it is, it is just our lives.

My friends tell me I will be one of those crazy ladies in a scooter, with flags waving, a horn and a bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment