At the age of ten, if asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would answer, "A color commentator for the NFL." Either I got a laugh or a "what???" Growing up, sports were prominent in our household. I have very early memories of on Sundays, being given a dollar and my brother who was closest in age to me, and I would be sent off to the neighborhood movie theater. Other Sundays, mom would take us to the drug store to pick out "quiet time" activities. No one wanted the youngest kids making noise during the football game. I learned quickly that if I wanted to sit in the family room, with all the fun, I had to 1. Behave and 2. Learn football. I became the master of listening to the commentators so I could repeat facts and sound like I knew what I was talking about. I learned that if I yelled out "holding" when there was a whistle, I was usually correct. But a funny thing happened. Pretty soon I knew the difference between a hold and encroachment. And I started to love the game. A couple of my brothers readily admit that I knew more than they did. Football was big, but so were other sports. I knew baseball, basketball (although, really only watched college ball), and hockey. It was like a holiday in our house when the high school hockey tournament or the Olympics were on.
We also played sports. My sister and I played varsity sports in high school. Growing up in the 70's and 80's, girl sports still were finding their way. But it was never once suggested that we couldn't do anything that we wanted. I really have to give props to my mom and dad for allowing us to grow up believing in ourselves. I remember one time, in grade school, coming home late. My mom asked where I had been. I shamefully said, at cheer leading tryouts. All my siblings burst out laughing. Then I quietly said that I had made the squad. My mom said that was great and that made the razzing stop. Ok, not totally, but still.
Today, my daughter plays hockey and volleyball. Hockey is huge in our state and the girl programs are the biggest in the country. I have to say, my pride in those facts is huge. Sports will always play a big part in my life. It is about confidence, spirit, pride, skill, and most of all - being able to go out and kick ass!
Just to drive this point home - here is my weekend:
ReplyDeleteFriday - daughter has hockey, watch Twins (in pennant race)
Saturday - daughter has hockey tryouts, Gophers football vs. Wisconsin, daughter has Volleyball tourney (championship bracket!), Twins (pennant race), Wild's first game
Sunday - Twins season and Dome final, daughter has hockey tryouts
Monday - Hockey tryouts, Vikings (with Brett Farve) play Greenbay in Monday Night Football.